Sunday, April 17, 2011

Shish kabobs

Spring has finally sprung hear in Utah which means it is time to BBQ. Oh how I love summer foods. This is a family favorite, and would be a fun Easter dinner. I guess a good indicator that these are good is that every single time I make them at a BBQ, some calls and asks me for the recipe. My husband will eat ten kabobs before I make him stop. Not kidding.



Here he is sneaking a bite, while wearing his favorite jersey.

Just cut up a bunch of your favorite vegetables; bell peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and then pineapple (I usually soak this in a little brown sugar for an extra delicious kick). Sometimes we just make all pineapple kabobs, it tastes like you are at Rodizio Grill.
The key to these yummy kabobs is the marinade. You can make this with any kind of steak (our favorite is rib eye) or chicken.

Meat Marinade for the Kabobs
½ cup apple juice
¾ cup sugar
½ soy sauce
½ cup oil
1 clove garlic
½ t ginger
½ onion chopped

Marinate meat as long as desired (a least an hour). While these are marinating soak skewers in water for at least a half an hour. Cut in strips and put on a skewer with the veggies and pineapple then grill on the BBQ.
Here is a fun side to stick with the kabob theme;
If you want to continue even more with the kabob theme you can make strawberry shortcake kabobs by just cutting up some angel food cake and strawberries and throw them on a skewer. Then dip them into whipped cream. Really you can cut up and put just about anything on a stick, we have also done breakfast kabobs, get creative! Happy Spring!

4 comments:

Rachel Cunningham said...

Those look so good Jade! I am jealous of the weather in Utah right now because it is getting hot here and I'm not excited about it. I hope you are feeling better! Holly said you have been sick with your pregnancy. I am excited to bust out the bbq and make these!

McElprangs said...

I love your blog and these look delicious! It's getting so hot here in AZ so we will have to bust out our grill. Question: Do you use fresh ginger or powdered ginger? Thanks!

Cassandra said...

I don't even remember where I found your blog, but I wanted to let you know that I LOVE it! Soooo many good recipes on here! Thank you so much for posting these!

Jade said...

McElprangs: I just use the dry powdered ginger. But I bet the fresh would be good too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...