Friday, April 29, 2011

Green Beef Enchiladas

There are a couple of recipe magazines that I like to read and Taste of Home is one of them.  They have some fun contests and I love to see which recipes are the Grand Prize winners.
This enchilada recipe won a Southwestern dish contest and I couldn't wait to try it out.  I took one look at the ingredients for the sauce and wished I had thought of it myself.  Genius.
These were really tasty and I can't wait to try this sauce out on chicken enchiladas.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced (I used 2)
3/4 cup salsa
1 Tbs. cornmeal
2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt/pepper to taste
12 corn tortillas, warmed
shredded cheese

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups frozen white corn, thawed
1 (4 oz) can green chilies
1 cup fresh cilantro
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
salt/pepper to taste

*Saute beef, onion and garlic until beef is no longer pink.  Remove from heat and stir in salsa, cornmeal and seasonings.  Spoon about 1/4 cup of meat mixture down the center of corn tortillas, sprinkle some cheese and then roll up and place seam side down in a 9x13 greased pan.
*Put all of sauce ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well blended.  I think I blended the sauce too long because in the magazine picture, it wasn't so green and you could see bits of cilantro.  Spoon over enchiladas and top with more cheese.  Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 5-10 more minutes.

The original recipe calls for ground turkey, flour tortillas, and olives on top.

4 comments:

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} said...

These look great! I thought it was guacamole on top at first but this is even better!

Rachel Cunningham said...

My husband thought it was guacamole, too, when he first looked at them and he was so happy when it wasn't!

sam and brittney said...

This is amazing!! Thanks so much!

salena said...

tried these tonight, they were so yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...